Friday, January 9, 2009

Reviving the Soul

Psalms 19:7-10 spoke to me in a really beautiful way today. It says:"7 The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul; the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple; 8 the precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes; 9 the fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever; the rules of the Lord are true, and righteous altogether. 10 More to be desired are they than gold, even much fine gold; sweeter also than honey and drippings of the honeycomb."

I love the first verse most of all: The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul. It is amazing the way that law--when it is good and from God--is a beautiful thing. It makes our souls refreshed and pure when we live in it.

As I sit here sipping my iced mocha at Starbucks, I think about how if they hadn't followed the instructions for this drink it wouldn't be this good. its sort of like that with our lives. Not through a life of legalism and rules, but rather a life of commitment to walking in the ways of the Lord--his love and kindness--and fully realizing the excitement and adventure that comes with wholly embraicing Jesus and His beautiful plan for our lives. One of my favorite quotes that Adrian Rogers that my youth pastor often referred to when I was in high school is "He who is a slave to the compass has the freedom of the seas." Freedom is such a beautiful word and the absolute fullness and realization of it can only be found in Jesus and walking with Him.

Its like every word that we use and place value in takes on a whole new level of reality when it is embraced through Christ. He redefines what humanity limits because of our finiteness. The excitement that comes from the idea of living in freedom--true freedom, the freedom of Jesus--is way overpowering the little buzz from the caffeine in my Starbucks drink and I can hardly contain the joy in my spirit as I stand in absolute awe of who God is.

No comments: