Wednesday, January 7, 2009

In the Shadow of His Wings

One thing that I love most when reading the Word is coming across verses that have meant a lot to me at some point in my life or have always stood out to me as being extra wonderful. This morning-well, really it was afternoon, but I just woke up- I was reading Psalms 17 where in verse 8 it says "Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings." I love that imagery.

I am reading The Shack right now where "Papa" is constantly telling Mack that she is especially fond of people. Finally, Mack says, "You seem to be especially fond of a lot of people. Are there any who you are not especially fond of?" Papa looked at Mack and said, "Nope, I haven't been able to find any. Guess that's jes' the way I is." I think that is such a beautiful picture of how the Father loves and cares for each and every one of His children as a favorite child. Even though He may get angry with us or have to discipline us at times, He loves us all the same and that will never change. I know its hard for me as a human being to not let my feelings towards a person be affected and changed when they mistreat me, ignore me or even deliberately turn their back on me, yet God in his infinite love, mercy and grace will still love His child that does all these things. They will still be the "apple of his eye."

Even more beautiful to me is being able to hide in the shadow of His wings. It just brings such peace and comfort to my heart knowing I can rest and hide in the Lord and He can completely cover me. Nothing can penetrate the protection that God can provide for me. He is the ultimate loving Father and I feel so safe to just be able to rest in Him.

I am so thankful to the God who created the universe that I am the apple of His eye and He hides me in the shadow of His wings.

No comments: