Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Jesus in the Wilderness.

"I am the voice of one crying out in the wilderness, 'make straight the way of the Lord,' as the prophet Isaiah said." (John 1:23) John the Baptist said to those messengers sent by the Pharisees to find out who in fact this wild man with the mane of a beard who lived off of locusts and honey actually was. In further explanation, John says, "I baptize with water, but among you stands one you do not know, even he who comes after me, the strap of whose sandal I am not worthy to untie." (v. 26-27)

John the Baptist was baptizing the multitudes when all of the sudden, there in the crowd, stood the One to whom his life was dedicated to preparing the way for. There in that crowd stood the Lamb of God, the Lion of Judah, the Son of David, the Savior of the World. My body reacts with excitement even thinking about being in the presence of Jesus Christ like John and the rest of the crowd that day were. But even as I think of how amazing it would be to be in the presence of the Lord like that, I wonder if my excitement in reading this passage is so great because the very presence of the Lord is here with me. And even within me, the Holy Spirit of God resides. As I read the Bible and God is revealing His word to me, this wonderful feeling of joy never ceases to amaze me as I know that here, sitting in the presence of my King, reading His word, there is nothing better than this.

No comments: