Thursday, October 18, 2012

the same old thing.

There is a man who I see every morning while I sit waiting for my bus. At precisely 7:10 AM, he walks by with his two dogs which appear to be a mix between Dalmatians and Daschunds. He wears a grey sweatsuit and recently started adding a coat as the weather has gotten colder. Every morning I see him and it always makes me think about his life and what it must be like. He seems a creature of habit and I imagine him waking up early, having his morning coffee and reading his paper, changing clothes to be appropriate for different parts of his day--maybe a little reminiscent of Mr. Rogers. And then I start thinking about how my life isn't like that at all. Outside of going to work, there are very few things I do the same every day.

I have always been averse to consistency in my schedule as I almost feel like routine and structure create walls forming a prison of my life. (Extreme, I know, but true to how I feel). But I have started to wonder--is there something to having a routine that creates fulfillment in our lives. It gives us the ability to make sure we make room for all the things that are important to us.

I have always felt as though I lack a certain amount of self-discipline, but maybe what I have really lacked is the desire to schedule my time--including all those"non-required" things that actually do matter and often go by the wayside when time isn't allotted for them--prayer and exercise being two primary examples.

I still fear the inflexibility that routine suggests, and I am nowhere near becoming the next Mr. Rogers, but I am realizing that without this structure, the things that are important to me may never become a consistent part of my life. Maybe its time to start making some little routines (with the disclaimer that they are always adjustable, of course).

No comments: